Information from the California State PTA
Please Note that some of these links to the California State PTA website still list 2021-2022 information. While most of this will not change, we recommend you check back in early September when the State site is updated. General Rules
A great learning experience
When children express themselves Participating in the Reflections Program is an opportunity for students to explore and learn about various art forms. It does not matter whether an entry created for the Reflections Program has been created as a classroom assignment or independently at home. Artistic exploration and expression enhance and develop intellectual, social, and physical skills. Creating art is a valuable learning process.
The program is designed to enhance rather than replace a quality arts education. It provides opportunities for students to express themselves and to receive positive recognition for National PTAs Reflections their artistic efforts. Parents, teachers, and community members all play a critical role in fostering a positive learning environment for children.
Young artists participate in the Reflections Program through their local PTA or PTSA. A student may submit an entry in any of the six arts areas listed below. Only original works of art are accepted.
- Dance Choreography
- Film Production
- Music Composition
- Visual Arts
- Special Artist
Participation in the Reflections Program is organized by school grade. Student works are critiqued against others in the same grade division. This allows recognition and judging of artworks by appropriate developmental age and skill levels
. More detailed information about each of the categories can also be found on the Forms page.
Each PTSA/PTA Unit site will chose their input deadline based on the Council deadlines. Check your unit website for your schools input deadline.
The Reflections Program is structured for PTAs to recognize students at the local, council, district, state, and national levels. Entries are first judged at the local level, where selected works, are chosen to represent the PTA at each subsequent level-council, district, or state-depending on each state PTAs structure. Once entries reach the state level, the state PTA may select entries to submit to the National PTA. Awards of Excellence and Awards of Merit are recognized at the annual National PTA Convention and are displayed as a part of the programs traveling exhibit.
CUCPTSA and Fourth District Recognition and Honors
The Reflections Program is structured for PTAs to recognize students at the local, council, district, state, and national levels. Entries are first judged at the local level, where selected works, are chosen to represent the PTA at each subsequent level-council, district, and state. Once entries reach the state level, the state PTA may select entries to submit to the National PTA. Awards of Excellence and Awards of Merit are recognized at the annual National PTA Convention and are displayed as a part of the programs traveling exhibit.
Blind judging will be conducted by local community members who are experts in their fields. Professional individuals working in the dance composition, film, literature, musical composition, photography, and visual arts fields volunteer to judge student entries at the district level. Awards of Excellence, Awards of Merit, and Honorable Mention are selected in each grade division for each of the six arts areas.
Awards will be announced at award receptions that will take place at the Capistrano Unified Council PTSA on TBD and then to the Fourth District (Orange County) levels, for public viewing.
Deadline for Entries
Each Unit determines their deadline for entries. For 2022-2023 you should set your dates about 2 weeks before October 10, 2022
2022-2023 Reflections Awards of Excellence entries are due to Capistrano Unified Council PTSA from individual schools the week of October 10, 2022. Individual school (or "Unit") deadlines for entries are sometime earlier than the Council deadline.
Please remember that:
- Students may submit entries only through a PTA or PTSA unit in good standing
- All entries submitted must be original works created for this contest and not be a classroom project or work submitted to any previous contest and must relate to the annual Reflections Program theme: "Show Your Voice"
- All entries must have a title, artist statement, and required student and parent signatures.
- Each entry must be the work of only one student. Assistance from teachers, parents, or friends is not permitted except in special cases of disability (such as for those with visual or physical disabilities)
- There cannot be a tie in the Award of Excellence for any category, but there can be multiple Awards of Merit and Honorable Mentions.
- Participation encourages creativity and exploration. Students should do their best, but crooked lines, incorrect musical notes, or misspelled words do not disqualify anyone
- Student entries not forwarded for the next level of judging will be returned to your schools.
- Although we do our very best to accommodate all entries, those not meeting the stated rules or that we deem illegible, are incomplete or arrive beyond the deadline, may not be judged or displayed at the gallery event or appear in the gallery program. We thank you for understanding the time restrictions that our volunteers have in order to send all entries to judging and on to the next levels of competition.
Information for CUCPTSA Units
Winning Entry Submission Process:
Unit Award of Excellence Awards due to CUCPTSA the week of October 10, 2022
Special Art Evening Events:
Capistrano Unified Council Art Evening
November 16, 2022 - More information soon
Fourth District Reflections Gallery and Reception
1:00 - 4:00 PM
200 Kalmus Drive - Costa Mesa
Orange County Department of Education
If you would like to know more about the arts, arts education, and arts advocacy, the California State PTA website is a good source of information at www.capta.org