FACT SHEET - CUCPTSA LEGISLATION ACTIVITIES
- Capistrano Unified Council of PTSAs is the governing body of the PTA units within the Capistrano Unified School District.
- There are 55 schools in the school district and 53 PTA units serving 50,137 students.
- Our PTA membership is 30,075 parents, teachers and community members who are very interested in the quality of education in our schools. We are the largest PTA council in the state of California.
- Our PTA units raise funds to support valuable programs at our schools, that can no longer be funded by our school district, such as art, music, and technology.
- Our PTA units also provide information to our parents and communities about the education system and in particular, our legislative actions that impact our childrens schools.
- The Legislative Action Team is a council level organization with senior representative from 43 schools in our school district.
- The Legislative Action Team meets monthly to review legislative news, to take advocacy stands on issues and to promote activism on the part of parents and community members on key issues. Legislation Representative meetings are held monthly during the school year at the at the CUSD Education Center .
- The Legislative Action Team is also a recommendation body for the school district on issues such as budgeting.
- The advocacy agenda for the Legislative Action Team is determined on an annual basis and includes advocacy statements directed at the federal, state and local levels of school governance.
- Once a year, the Legislative Action Team travels to Sacramento to visit with key legislators and to learn more about the pending education issues. The team members then report back to their parent groups on what we have learned from the trip.
- The Legislative Action Team is a knowledgeable and credible source of information for the parents and community members in our schools.